"A man filled with the love of God is not content with blessing his family alone, but ranges through the whole world, anxious to bless the whole human race." Joseph Smith

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Of Light and Heat

I am intrigued by the words of Jesus Christ when He said, "I am the Light of the world." (John 8:12). The symbolism in Light is awe-inspiring. My mind is filled with wonder as I ponder the words that describe Christ as, 

...the light of truth;  Which truth shineth. This is the light of Christ. As also he is in the sun, and the light of the sun, and the power thereof by which it was made.
As also he is in the moon, and is the light of the moon, and the power thereof by which it was made;  As also the light of the stars, and the power thereof by which they were made; And the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand. 

And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth your eyes...                                                                              Doctrine and Covenants 88: 6-12
The light from the sun brings both radiant light and burning heat. Both are essential to our progression toward Him.


Of Light and Heat

The sky, they say, is black at night,
When in truth it's filled with light,
Enough to see the path to keep –
Enough to trust while others sleep.

Lord, here’s my hand. I cannot see  
Unless I put my trust in Thee.
Flickr.com - courtesy of George Thomas

The graying of the dawn awakes
The greater view which road to take.
The shadows bow and take their seat
As cool gives way to fervent heat.

      Lord, here’s my heart.  I cannot see
      Unless I put my trust in Thee.
Flickr.com - courtesy of Rania Hatzi

Unfettered day with rays unfurled
Brings burning heat upon the world.
Faint, seeking Balm to soothe the brow –
The dross is cleansed in me somehow.

Lord, here’s my will. I cannot see
Unless I put my trust in Thee.
Flickr.com - courtesy of Luca Castellazzi

The sunset warm begins to glow,
Another time and place to show.
The path now clear with radiant light,
I take my place within His sight.

Lord, I am thine, for now I see
Both light and heat bring us to Thee.
Flickr.com - courtesy of Magic Foundry

Deborah L. Coffey
2016

No comments:

Post a Comment